Pages

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Peanut Soup 花生汤


Peanut soup is one of my favorite dishes. To prepare one is an easy task, but to make is as good as mom’s is a bit difficult. I guess the secret lies on the quality/quantity/combination of ingredients and duration of simmering the mixture.

.

Anyway, this is my ongrizinal recipe :

.

I like to use lean pork meat - net edible portion, no bones, no waste – be it a round, chuck, sirloin or tenderloin. A little bit of skin and fat ( 三层肉 ) will add some additional umph !!! Moms often use the boney part ( 肉骨 ), eg. rib, it make the best soup. Well, some 150g of pork is enough… cut the meat intake.

.

Add some 300g of peanut into 2 liter water.

.

Some dried squid ( 吊片/ 魷魚), for the savory aroma. Alternatively, dried scallop ( 干贝 ) or dried oyster ( 蠔豉 ) will do. Dried scallop is too expensive for that. Dried oyster is totally out of my consideration as I dislike the taste of it, and the feel of it in my mouth.

.

Put the entire ingredient in a pot. Some will simmer it for a long period of time… till the peanut softened. But I like to use pressure cooker. It’s fast to cook – save time, save energy, save water. 15 minutes will do the job !

.

Lastly, a little bit of salt to taste. ...... and a bit of flavour enhancer too.

.

It’s done ! A soup enough for 4 - 5 pax.

0 comments:

Post a Comment